Sunday, February 19, 2012

Rocky Mountain High

"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow." - Lin Yutang

When was the last time you walked barefoot on a carpeted floor, truly allowing your toes to sink into the warmth and comfort the weaves of the fabric have to offer?

If your answer is anything other than today, I offer you the following assignment: find any kind of carpet- be it textured, shag, burber, or an intricately designed Afghan rug and really dig your toes down deep. Plod around for a few moments and feel grateful that you have access to such privileged comfort and luxury.

This is my attempt to give you a shallow glimpse of how I've been perceiving life back home these last three weeks since returning from my most recent stint in Costa Rica. I am pleasantly baffled at how content I am to be back here in my home of Colorado. I am amazed that more time has passed here than I actually spent abroad and I am still feeling the effects of whatever drug Costa Rica put in my body that has allowed my awareness to open up to everything lovely about my home.

Please do not misunderstand me and think that I'm implying my trip was anything but beautiful, or that I hated my life in Colorado before leaving. Neither of these is the case. However, since getting that first Costa Rica stamp in my passport ten years ago, my spirit has been a wandering and restless one. Coming up on the two year anniversary of me arriving back Stateside after being away for two years in Zambia was also leaving me questioning whether it wasn't time to pick up and leave again.

Costa Rica, this time around, seems to have done something to pacify my nomadic cravings. Maybe I'm getting old. I'd like to think otherwise though and suspect that one day in the future I'll be ready to pack my suitcase again in search of that next adventure overseas (Lately I've been fantasizing about Thailand, India, Nepal).

But that is the future. Right now, I am suddenly awake to the fact that there is plenty of adventure right here in the community and life I have nurtured and worked so hard to appreciate these last few years. I plan on sticking around for a little while longer to see what more is left to unfold.

What are some of the qualities, be them minuscule or significant, that you love about the place that you call home? I'll share just a few of mine. (Apologies that my long battle with culture shock after Peace Corps delayed this list for a while).


  • Friends here that have become my family and love me unconditionally. One most wonderful aspects of my trip was learning that such friends of mine remain scattered throughout the world. Reconnecting with my Costa Rican family only left me feeling even more grateful for all of my loved ones back home.

  • Whole Foods. Well not the price, but the idea. I love that living in Denver gives me access to practically any type of food I so desire. Healthy or unhealthy. And that I don't have to apologize for being a semi-vegetarian.

  • Four seasons. Don't get me wrong, basking under the Costa Rican sunshine on a white sand beach in front of a turquoise sea is pretty darn amazing. Even more so when you imagine the blizzards occurring in other parts of the world. However, I've also recently appreciated the fun buzz of the clinic I work at closing for a snow day and the delight of knowing I get to brave the roads in my Subaru to head back home and curl up with a blanket, cup of tea and a good book. Skiing is pretty fun as well (and an adventure that does not require a passport).

  • My meditation time and space. For various reasons, I find that when my typical Colorado routine is broken, it is incredibly difficult to meditate. Meditation has been making me feel even more alive and vibrant lately, so I'll welcome monotony if it allows me the chance to sincerely check in with myself in this way every day.

  • Yoga classes. One of the perfect aspects of yoga is it can be done in any place but I am thrilled that have a plethora of teachers to choose from in the Denver area to further and deepen my practice.

  • Piano! Piano! Piano! I don't think I would trade my travels for anything but do mourn the sacrifice I have made these last ten years regarding my finesse to play this instrument with grace. I have recently resolved to regain this talent.

  • My parents. And that they live close by. My Mom can take care of me when I am sick as well as rescue me when I lock myself out of my apartment with no keys, shoes, coat or cell phone.

  • Comfort. (Have you sunk your toes into that carpet yet?) For a long time I wanted to be a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer snob and declare that I didn't need an Iphone or a dishwasher. I've been learning lately it is okay to appreciate such luxuries in moderation and balance. And it is ALWAYS okay to revel in a hot shower. I also recently discovered a handy dandy meditation app that helps me time, log and journal about my meditation with ease.

  • Colorado microbrews. Let's face it. Cheap lagers in developing countries really just aren't that tasty.

  • Colorado clothing culture. It is nice to get dressed up in skinny jeans, dangly earrings and high heels every once in a while but I am a mountain girl at heart and truly appreciate that I can wear jeans, a t-shirt and flip flops practically anywhere in this State and feel like I fit in.

  • Public libraries with easy access. Enough said.

I'll keep throwing some more ramblings out there but feel like mentioning that those which follow all follow under the paralleled category of strategies I've conjured up to still live as a world citizen even in the comfort of home. As well as seek that zest out of life that makes traveling so addictive.

  • Spanish! I get to speak this at my job all day long. Thank goodness for that.


  • Friends from other cultures at work. Who would have thought that after a year of resistance at my job I would suddenly release that in exchange for gratitude that I get to work alongside inspirational people that teach me new aspects of their culture every day. As well as allow me to reminisce whenever I desire about my Costa Rican roots.


  • New food. I can cook international fare whenever I'd like. Or head to any of the restaurants here in Denver to try something new. There is even a place in Aurora that serves nshima.
  • Music. Not just the piano which I have already mentioned. Summer concert series at Red Rocks. Small Bluegrass bands at Cervantes. A small quartet of violinists at the New Belgium Brewery. Good for the soul.

  • Adventure!!!! Talk about a state that offers the opportunity to live a life less ordinary. I've always been a fan of the outdoors but am hoping to get further engrossed in some new activities here- get over my white water rafting fear for example, try to afford a road bike and then actually ride it, take a weekend long backpacking trip. The possibilities are endless.

Those that know me well may be amazed to hear all of this optimism about sticking around Colorado for a little while longer, not to mention my snippets about the wonderful aspects of my job (I'm usually complaining about mountains of emotional suffering or secondary trauma). To anyone out there that feels stuck in a rut, if you are willing and able, travel. Go anywhere. Especially if it is to see long lost friends and family in order to remind yourself of where you have come from and be proud of how far you have come. It is one of the best medicines I have found.

No comments: