Tuesday, January 15, 2008

no use for a name (at least for now...)

Okay, okay I'll admit it on my first blog posting ever. I am pretty disappointed in my lack of creativity for the title of this blog. I brainstormed for a while and finally decided, "how can I come up with a good name for a description of an experience I have yet to embark on in a country I have never set foot in?" That's like inventing the title of a book before even writing the first page- which some authors must do I guess, but do most? I would never do that. Anyway, the solution to this problem can be solved in two ways. Either I go to Zambia and decide a name after a few months of pondering it, etc. OR there can be a contest to come up with the best title for this blog. Basically, whichever comes first.

And while I'm at it, I guess I'll admit that the picture in the corner is obviously not taken in Zambia, but in Nicaragua. I figured I needed to try adding a picture and thought this one would suit because I'm planning on spending a lot of time in hammocks while in Zambia (assuming I figure out whether or not the rope kind or the parachute kind is best and that I actually buy one).

As you can infer from what I have just written, my thoughts on Peace Corps and Zambia are incredibly emotional and deep at the moment (hammocks, names for blogs, ha ha.). I keep thinking I'll update this one night to try and explain all the feelings and millions of thoughts that run through my head as I try to go to sleep, but I think my heart might explode if I try to find words for indescribable emotions that can contradict one another in a flash. Let's put it this way. The other day I was watching my Mom read (unbenownst to her...kind of creepy I know) and all of a sudden a huge wave rushed into me reminding me how much I love her and all I wanted was to be a little girl again and have her tuck me in at night while reading me stories until I fall asleep. BUT then reality regained its grip on me and I realized that I am not a little girl anymore and that although I will miss my Mom every day, I am (hopefully) making her proud by doing this.
Then tonight I laid in bed and turned the light switch on and off and thought while it was on, "my life right now..." and while it was off..."Africa" and tried to imagine going to sleep in a mud hut with all the critters I hear you have to make friends with over there. And I thought of how every day is going to be a new adventure and of all the new, amazing people I will meet. These are the thoughts that make me want to board that plane right now.

Anyway, this brings me to the point that for now my blog title, though somewhat dull, is fitting because I do tend to ramble on from time to time. Oh, and fair warning that I won't be spell-checking my words, I still don't know how to use commas properly, and I am addicted to inserting ellipses after every other phrase I write...

No comments: